Tuesday, November 11, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

This tiny verse has a lot of punch and a lot of meat :). So I know that a lot of us struggle with this one.

I've found for myself, submitting is a lot easier when I respect the person or the decisions that they are making. It's VERY hard when I don't. There are times when submission is simply an act of obedience to God. Isn't that somewhat circular? I submit to the Lord by submitting to my husband which is submitting to the Lord by submitting to my husband, etc etc.. :D It's interesting to me that I can "force" myself to be obedient to God even when I don't necessarily want to or I don't understand but I don't have that same ability with Chris. I know a lot of it is because he is a man, not perfect, not proven. God, we KNOW we can rely on. Husbands...well...sometimes they DO make mistakes. :)

So this is where I really do take to heart the 2nd part of this verse. It's not just about blind submission. Obedience like a puppy dog. No No. It's about trust and respect. I know there are times that I will not necessarily respect Chris but I do respect God and I trust God that if I obey and submit to Chris, then God will work in Chris to increase my trust and respect.

I have an amazing godly Grandmother. She is such a great rock and foundation for the women in my family. She said something very wise (which some of you have heard me say before). There was a time when she didn't agree with an approach my Grandpa was taking but she submitted to his decision because she "trusted the Holy Spirit within him". Isn't that an AWESOME thing!?!? We can have peace in the fact that God is working within our husbands.

Some of our husbands may not be as old in the faith as others and some might stumble more but know that God is STILL working within them. He doesn't give up and He doesn't let go so it is our job to TRUST God and be obedient (and patient :/), regardless and know that God will take care of the rest if we do our part.

No comments: